For each unit study we are going to start out with a "Know/Want to Know/Learned" sheet. It is basically a three columned paper in which we list the things we already know about our topic of study (apples are a fruit, they grow on trees, etc). Then we list things we would like to learn in our study. This was particularly interesting and fun to hear the boys perspective. (How do they make apple juice? How do you make an apple pie? How many different kinds of apples are there?) Daddy was excited that Luke added the "How to make an apple pie" to the list because Daddy loves Mommy's apple pie!
Then of course the last column at the end is all the things we learned in our study.
So here are some of our activities and projects for our apple study that helped us fill in our "Learned" column!
Of course no study of apples is complete without apple snacks! Here are a few of our favorites:
Whole apples. Yes, that was a favorite. We usually cut the apples up for the kids, but this month I let them choose a whole apple to have as a snack and they LOVED it! Who knew? Honeycrisp apples are our favorite, but we have had a hard time finding them this year. Pink Ladies and Braeburn are our next favorite varieties. We also enjoyed the simple snack of apples with slices of cheddar.
Another favorite was "Apple Smiles" made with apples slices, peanut butter and marshmallows, yum!
Our favorite apple dip is so simple to make! You mix one 8oz package of cream cheese with a small container of marshmallow creme and add cinnamon to taste. Yummy!
Gracie loved helping Mommy make this treat!
Of course, the ultimate apple dessert, Apple Pie was a favorite! In fact when I asked the boys what their favorite part about our unit study was, the unanimous answer was "making apple pie"!
We put a yummy crunchy/oatmeal topping on our apple pie and then top it with some caramel sauce, crushed pecans, and vanilla ice cream!
Quite accomplished pie makers!!
For language arts we of course read all kinds of poems and books about apples. We love books, we love apples, we love books about apples. Here are a few of our favorites:
The Seasons of Arnold's Apple Tree- Gail Gibbons, Apples- Gail Gibbons, The Apple Pie Tree- Zoe Hall, and Johnny Appleseed- Reeve Lindbergh.
To go along with The Seasons of Arnold's Apple Tree book we made apple tree art projects for each season.
We also did a story sequence project on apple growth.
For math I found several apple themed worksheets online.
We used our apples for a review on patterns.
And used apple flashcards for number practice and review.
For some fun science we dissected several apples to see what they looked like from every direction.
We also studied some of the properties of water by guessing whether apples would sink or float and then testing our guesses with some apple bobbing! :) (the kids LOVED this!!!!)
For arts and crafts we:
Made apple "prints" (make sure to cut out a chunk of the apple on the back so it is easier to hold on to the apples!)
We made apple thumb print paintings with a poem
And of course we had our play dough of the month which was red and smelled like apple pie! (If ever there was a play dough that smelled good enough to eat, this one is it!!)
Here is Luke and Ben's play dough apple pie!
For the next post we will fill you in on our apple orchard field trip!
5 comments:
I was just WAITING for your apple post! And it was worth the wait! I want to come to your school, too! You are such a good Mama and teacher...those kids are blessed to have you with them each day. I really love your homeschooling posts and am very encouraged as we look forward to our own homeschooling adventure. I didn't know Ben was left handed! :-) Love you all!
I know you make a wonderful nurse but I think TEACHING is an extra gift the Lord gave you. What wonderful ideas (and memory building at the same time)!! Wish I knew so much about apples...I love them but I love my grandbabies even MORE!! Love and miss you all, Grammy
Oh my goodness, Meredith! What an awesome theme this was :) I love it!!! When we get to Kindergarten, I might have to borrow these ideas. Love, love, love!!!!
Wonderful ideas! This week of school begins our unit on apples, so thanks for lots of extra ideas!
Could you share your playdough recipe or remind me which post it is in...I vaguely remember you wrote about it before and probably already listed it all.
Thanks!
You all have so much fun while you are learning...I want to come to your school!
Post a Comment