Sunday, July 15, 2012

Gracie- 2 1/2 (also belated)

Here is another belated post....Gracie's 2 1/2 year update! This daughter of ours is just so much fun to watch learn and grow. She can make us laugh out loud and bring us to exasperation within the same moments. She is growing so quickly it is hard to keep up. It really is striking how different little girls are from day one than boys. Her range of emotions and our job to help her learn how to best deal with them is whole new territory for this boy filled home.

Gracie is, and always will be, a talker. Her grasp of language and clarity of speech is way beyond her years. She often tells strangers that she is five. They look at me funny because part of them believes it the way she speaks....but then her tiny body does not match her language ability!

Gracie has had baby dolls since her 1st birthday, but has hit a total baby doll stage. She will play with her dolls from morning until night. Dictating tasks to her three brothers to go along with her imaginative play. 

Gracie has now fully adjusted to her big girl bed. She "usually" does a pretty good job of not waking up Jacob in the morning or at naps. She will pick out an outfit for herself and change before I even wake up. (It always matches and coordinates too! She will often pick out an outfit for Jacob as well).

We knew it was time to potty train when I would wake up in the morning and she had changed her own diaper!!! Yes, perfectly done like a pro! The next day we put her in underwear and she has not turned back. She is completely potty trained during the day; next step....night time! Thank goodness we will not be buying diapers for three in the fall! I must say, waiting until she was completely ready was so worth the extra months of diapers. No stress potty training at its best.


Gracie is absolutely adored by her brothers, and she adores them all right back. It is so fun to watch such a special bond develop between she and her brothers. They are her biggest fans and she is their biggest cheerleader. Luke and Ben often call her "sweetie" and Jacob calls her "Sis" or "Sissy". They also know just how to push her buttons and get her riled up of course! She is fiercely protective of them, and they of her. The other day we had a family conversation about how to respond to people who ask rude comments about our family, or stare. When we asked the kids how we should respond if someone makes a rude comment about how our children do not match skin color, Gracie responded, "I know, I will just stinker at them!" We all about fell over in laughter. Not exactly the answer we were looking for, but a good one none the less.



Gracie continues to be a challenge when it comes to meals. One day it seems as if she does not eat enough to survive, and the next she eats more. She is not a picky eater. Her favorite foods are broccoli and green beans, and she loves a huge variety of foods, but some days it seems as if she just can't be bothered to eat. The real challenge is actually getting her to eat any bread or sometimes protein. The other day I actually said something I never thought would come out of a parent's mouth. I said "Gracie eat a chicken nugget and then you can have more broccoli!"



Gracie loves being a part of "school" and will beg for her own school time. She is doing amazing and shocks me with how much she remembers. She has also taken it upon herself to teach Jacob all of his colors and how to do puzzles.

Gracie will be turning three the month after baby #5 is born, so hopefully that update won't be too far belated!

2 comments:

Kameron Meyer said...

Oh, that sweet, sweet girl! I just wish I could have some one-on-one time with your kids so I could get to know her more! I love these pictures and posts and can just imagine her large dose of femininity in that masculine-dominated home! Love you guys!

Gentry said...

Oh how I miss that little girl!!