I went to see an ortho specialist today as requested by my OB doctor. I was actually very encouraged by the visit. I have at the minimum a Grade 3 Sprain, which means I have at least one torn ligament, possibly more based on the extent of injury, bruising, etc. I may also have a hairline fracture, but they are not going to take more xrays. More xrays would just expose our baby to more radiation, and in the end would not change the treatment plan.
The aircast I was given in the ER, is essentially "useless" per ortho for the kind of sprain that I have, which explains why I have struggled so much with feeling so unstable on my ankle. They gave me a huge walking boot, with the goal to be able to walk as pain free as possible with boot and crutches. The goal is to eventually get me to walk with boot and one crutch, then the boot alone, and finally on my own (which may take weeks to months). He explained to me today that even though we think of it as "just a sprain" the truth is, this level of sprain is more painful and takes longer to heal than most fractures. (Which made me feel better, since I have been in so much pain, I felt like a big baby!!)
The good news is that they are very optimistic that this will heal without surgery. Also, in a few days our baby girl will be considered full term, so there are less risks for her concerning all of this, unless I happen to develop a blood clot. The bad news is that it is going to take a very long time, so we are hopeful that I can at least be off crutches by the time our daughter is born! I also am not allowed to drive until I can walk on my own without boot or crutches, which makes life pretty difficult around here. We have been so blessed though by all the friends who have so graciously offered to help drive me to all these appointments and friends who have been willing to watch the boys as well.
Thank you for your continued prayers for my ankle and our family. Our baby girl seems to be handling everything quite well, and the rest of us are learning to adjust and manage. Here is a picture of Ben, one of my little helpers around the house!

Mer, for the Morgan Family
2 comments:
Praise the Lord for the right diagnosis and that you don't need surgery! Sure wish that I could be more help to your family during these days- Know that I am praying though!
Glad to hear you are getting more answers about your ankle. We will be praying for your quick healing. Love you.
Post a Comment