Saturday, May 16, 2009

Baby Names

My friend Kelly posted an adorable post this week about why she and her husband named their sons what they did. She invited her readers to comment or post on their blogs why they chose their kids names. So, here is our post explaining our choices and inviting you to do the same. Feel free to post a comment or post on your own blog your answer!

Luke Mirtus Morgan

Luke means "bearer of light." It is our prayer that our son, who's background began in so much darkness, would end up being a "bearer of light" for our heavenly Father. In addition, when I was in high school I read a biography about a WWI Ace pilot named Frank Luke (Luke Air Force Base is named for this pilot). I fell in love with the name Luke and decided that my oldest son would one day be named Luke! Thankfully, Jeff loved the name as well.

Mirtus is an Amharic name meaning "One who has been chosen". This is not Luke's original Amharic name. His original name was Estubdink, which means extraordinary, and while we loved this name, in Ethiopia we found out that it actually is a girl's name. So we chose to pick another Ethiopian name as Luke's middle name. We chose Mirtus because we wanted Luke to understand one day that God chose him to be in our family.



Benjamin Mihereteb Morgan

Benjamin means "son of my right hand". Our prayer for our second son is that he will be the "right hand man" of both his earthly and heavenly Father. Mihereteb is Amharic for "God has had mercy on us". This is Ben's original Ethiopian name, which we chose to keep as his middle name since it has such a beautiful meaning. God certainly has had mercy on us, in allowing us to parent this precious son.



No, we do not have names for baby #3 yet!! Can't wait to hear how you chose your kids' names!

2 comments:

The Worthey Family said...

What a great post and what wonderful meanings for your boys names...I love it!!
Our two older boys were named after their dad..The oldest being Tommy Brian and middle son being Nathan Alan. Tommy's name is Tommy Alan...Our youngest son's name is Matthew James...Matthew meaning "gift from God" and James being after both his Grandpas
Our daughter Chase was more difficult to name Tommy and I couldn't agree on many names...Chase came from my best friend, she was going to name her son Chase and at the last minute decided on Craig (after her husband's uncle), so I told her then if I have a baby before you have another one I am using that name!! So when Chase came along I wanted to use it boy or girl...Chase actually means "Hunter" Tommy agreed (after much discussion) And I let him pick too...He chose Rebekah..the meaning is "to tie" He mostly chose it because of a sweet girl that he knew in elementary school named Rebekah!! So after many months of not agreeing we chose Rebekah Chase :)

Kameron Meyer said...

Those pictures are just the most precious ones I've ever seen. And their names are just as precious as the boys themselves! Love you!