Monday, May 2, 2011

Today

Today we lost the gentle protector of our family, Miss Clara. Miss Clara has dealt with several chronic health issues for some time that have all been getting worse. We were forced to make a decision to have her put to sleep due to the fact that she has become unsafe around our children. We are heartbroken over the loss of this great friend and family member, but need to put the safety of our children first. We have tried just keeping her separated from the kids, but she is so in love with our family and devoted to us, that keeping her away was the cruelest option for her.







Over eight years ago, I lost my first English Mastiff, General Patton, and was asked to take in a rescue mastiff, Miss Clara. She was 2 1/2 year old, and had been abused and neglected. She was the most gentle loving dog I have ever met. I called her my velcro velvet dog because she was so soft, and she was instantly attached to me! At that time Clara was NOT a fan of any male friends or suitors that came to visit. She wanted nothing to do with men until December of 2004. The first time Jeff came to visit, Clara warmed up to him immediately and I knew he was a keeper!

























Miss Clara has born all the changes to our family over the years well. Accepting each new member, and becoming fiercely protective of them. She has shared her space, dealt with loud and busy children and her demotion on the priority list with each new member. Her size and bark have warned off quite a few unwelcome door to door solicitors. She has worried herself sick when I had asthma attacks, surgeries, or was pregnant (how do dogs know these things??) She has been a faithful protector and friend, and we will miss her more than words can express!

7 comments:

Tara said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I know she will be missed in your family.

Kameron Meyer said...

Oh Mer...I know how hard this was for you. Miss Clara was so special. I miss her, too. So glad she had such a long, loving life with the Morgan family. We're thinking of you guys.

Kathy said...

Oh, I'm so sorry that you had to made that difficult decision! I know that must have been hard. Love you guys!

Becky Kerger said...

There is no way to explain Miss Clara and her devotion to you unless you had the privlege to see it. Her massive head was like touching velvet she was SOOO soft...and her heart even softer towards her family! Both she and Patton added much spice to your own story of life...and will be missed by those of us who had the chance to wipe Clara kisses off our arms, clothes, whatever...They were classic dogs, loved, spoiled and will always be missed but thought of fondly with a smile each time they come to mind.

Turley Family said...

Miss Clara was such a wonderful doggie that was so fun to just hug! We loved seeing her everytime we visited. It is hard to lose such a special member of the family, as we all know. We are thinking of you guys. Love you all.

Gentry said...

So sorry for your loss :( Miss Clara will be greatly missed!! I loved that giant dog...

Rich, Tammy, Hayden, Amelia and Darwin said...

Awww... so sorry to read this :(