Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Happy Birthday Daddy!


Today is my Dad's 60th birthday. I wish I could be with him in Arizona to celebrate this special day, but will have to celebrate miles away. The picture above was at my wedding, my Dad is surrounded by his six daughters....yes, six, that is not a typo. Now four of the six of us are married, and one will be married in May....so he has been one busy Father of the Bride for the last few years!

Anyway, I just wanted to take a minute to write down a few thoughts about my Dad to celebrate this special day. For my entire life my Dad has been a constant, a rock. When emotions and craziness would set most people reeling as if they are on a roller coaster ride, his steadfastness has been a model to all eight of his children, and now to in-laws and grandchildren as well. It's funny, people always say that the highest compliments daughters can give their Daddy's is to look for someone to marry that reminds them of their Dads. Without knowing it, I think that there are aspects of Jeff's character the mirror the qualities I love about my Dad, especially his steadfastness and commitment to family. My Dad has a way of always making me feel safe. He also always made me feel like there is nothing that he could not fix. Even in moments when he could not fix it somehow I knew that I would be okay. When I was in college I was in a pretty bad car accident, I totaled my first car. Even though my dad worked nights and was probably exhausted he drove down to Tucson just to be with me for the night, to makes sure I was okay. Thank you Dad for those special memories, but above all that, the overall sense of security you have offered to our family throughout the years. Your hard work and dedication may not make you a millionaire, but it will forever leave a legacy with the generations that follow. Your service to others, your tough but tender heart that can do what you do year in and year out, but still cry tears at sappy movies, that is what my memories are made of. Thank you God for the sixty years you have given my Daddy. Keep him healthy and strong so that all of his grandchildren can grow up to know him and respect him as I do. Use these years of life as productive ones that will glorify you and not be wasted. Help me to learn the lessons he has taught me well, so that I may be a steadfast rock for my family. I love you Dad. I love you always, even 30 years from now when I have to be the strong one to take care of you.
Love your #2,

3 comments:

Kameron Meyer said...

Mer...this is so moving. Thank you for posting this on your blog, so many people will read about our wonderful dad. Love you! -Kam

Tara said...

What a special tribute to your dad! And I just love the picture of Him surrounded my his girls! Priceless!

I would agree: We definitely look for qualities from our fathers in our husbands!

Becky Kerger said...

Bravo, my precious daughter! Your words say it all...wish we could be together to celebrate your Daddy...hold onto the hugs until May and you can give them then! Love and Miss you...always, Mom