Sunday, October 26, 2014

School Update (Week 6-8)

I am sadly so far behind on my school posts! I will attempt to give a brief overview of our weeks 6-8! 

For a bit of fun relief we joined in our neighborhood fall festival!

 

 

 

Luke and Ben also earned their line glider badge for RA's this fall.

 

 

 

 

We have also spent a great deal of time outdoors!


 

 These last several weeks have kept us super busy! We had fun making Dutch Pancakes while studying the Dutch pioneers of New Amsterdam. We made "birch bark" canoes while learning about the French pioneers to the Great Lakes.

 

I love how everything fits together so well. We studied about Jesus being the Bread of Life. We experimented with yeast. Then we made our own bread to share with our neighbors. (Our neighbors ended up being gone for the weekend. The bread became too stale to share. We ended up making them cookies instead to share!) After our visit to the dairy farm we used our fresh cream to make homemade butter as well!

Here everyone is practicing kneading dough. (No we did not actually eat this set!)


Shaking up our homemade butter!






Watching our bread bake!




In science we finished up a few week study of whales. In order to understand the importance of blubber we did an experiment. First we measured how long we could keep a gloved hand in ice water. Then we timed how long we could keep the gloved hand covered in blubber (Vaseline) in ice water!




We also spent a fun week studying Benjamin Franklin.

Here is an example of Luke's note booking work.



The boys each made their own Poor Richard's Almanac.

 

Here are some of our favorite book basket choices about Benjamin Franklin.



As an update to our previous school post, here is a picture of our experiment of planting corn kernels. As you can see, the green pot (which had sardines added in) is much more sturdy and healthy looking than the other two! I guess the Native Americans knew what they were doing!



Here is a picture of our little people enjoying some books too!


This month I have tried to be more intentional about allowing time for arts and crafts. (Despite the extra mess!)



Luke and Ben finished up a study of Piet Mondrian and composition.


Luke called his work "Subway Station" and Ben called his "Traffic."


Lots of learning over the last few weeks for sure!

1 comment:

Kameron Meyer said...

Such serious expressions whilst churning butter!!! So cute! And what, may I ask, did you use for blubber?? :) I love reading of the Morgan School adventures!