Thursday, October 3, 2013

School

My documenting of our school activities through blogging has taken a serious hit with our recent move! Yes, we started school in mid September. Thankfully, we had "schooled" through most of the summer to give us the room to breathe as we moved into a new home and unpacked boxes.

Here is a picture of our first day of school. We celebrated with our tradition of doughnuts for breakfast!


Luke is in Second Grade this year.

Ben is in First Grade.


Gracie has started some more formal "PreK" work with me as well. Jacob and Caleb are just playing and joining in whenever they can!




We have started off slow this first few weeks to help me not feel so overwhelmed. There is so much I want to do with them, but if I try to do it all right away I will get burned out quick! I am hoping to add in one new thing each week or so until we are at our full schedule. 

One thing we added in this last week was a fun introduction study of classical Latin! The program we are using is called "Sing Song Latin" from Classical Academic Press. It is so much fun, with songs to learn and activities. This was a highlight for the boys last week. When I told them last year while we were studying Rome that we would be learning Latin, they looked at me like I was crazy. Well, who knew it would become one of their favorite subjects so far. Ben came down to breakfast this week saying, "Salve, Magistra!" (Hello, teacher!) They have also already discovered that many of the English words they know are rooted in Latin. I won't bore you with all the reasons we decided to teach Latin, but I am so glad we will be learning this together.


It has been so beautiful outside we can't help but go outside for picnics and school!


Every year it becomes more and more of a challenge to entertain and keep busy the little ones while we work at school. If you think based on my pictures that some of my children stay in pajamas all day, that is not correct! :) For some of the more complicated crafts, or work with Luke and Ben, we do it together in the evening once the youngest are asleep!

Legos and Duplos are the current go-to toy of choice during school for Gracie and Jacob.


In science this year, we are continuing on with Apologia's Elementary series. This year we are studying "Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day."

Here is a simple experiment using water, a cup and straw to illustrate how God designed air pressure to help birds fly.





We also had a chance to make two different gliders with varied wing sizes to test which shape was more aerodynamic.


Of course Gracie and Jacob like to join in with all of the experiments.


 In our Tapestry of Grace studies we started off with the fall of Rome and are beginning to study the Middle Ages. This year, as in the last year, we love how seamlessly church and world history are intertwined. I am learning so much right along side the boys! I never before thought I would be interested in Barbarian tribes, but it is fascinating to everyone.

The boys were learning about Monks and monestaries and how Scripture was copied carefully onto parchment scrolls. They each had to carefully copy our Bible verse for the week, decorate it, and roll it into a scroll.



It is hard to believe that this is our third year homeschooling! Thanks for following along with us as we explore and learn together this year.



1 comment:

Becky Kerger said...

WHAT A FUN YEAR THIS WILL BE!! I can only imagine that with a big yard to explore, more learning space and overall new surroundings, thing will be even more FUN!! Off to a great start Mama!! How did Luke and Ben get so old, so fast?? How did that happen?? Hugs and Kisses to all! Grammy LOVES you!!